Sender:pepoloe
Date/Time:2007-Nov-29 00:19:10
Subject:Re: motorized panorama head

PanoTools NG: Re: motorized panorama head pepoloe 2007-Nov-29 00:19:10
Hi Jim,
I have used a low-cost gear for about 64 Euro, it has around 1.2
degree backlash.
The same company is offering other more expensive gears (163 Euro) ,
which have only 0.5 degree backlash.
There are gears available with zero backlash but they are very expensive.
I did use templates but still I did re-optimize the images.
For multi-row panoramas I'm moving the head in both directions
(forward and next row backward again). This would not be needed when
using a wireless shooter, but when using a cable it is save to rotate
the head back again after one 360 degree turn.
I did try the motor at different speeds as this can easily be
programmed as part of the software. In one of the first versions I had
used a user defined setup parameter to try different speeds but in the
end I decided to turn as smooth but also as fast as possible.
So it is possible to use one controller with multiple motor
combinations. The only thing you have to do is writing some additional
code.

--- In #removed#, Jim Watters <jwatters@...> wrote:

> Most definitely interested in all the details of this project.  You
have
> created a sweet little setup.
>
> I have been trying to create my own motorized panhead for sometime.  I
> have collected most of the parts and assembled some, but have not
put it
> all together.  I have several stepper motors and gears that I have
> savaged from several old microfiche scanners.  I have done research and
> purchased a couple controllers.  I don't have great electronic
> knowledge.  I would much rather have an exact shopping list than
> reinvent the wheel.
>
> What kind of repeatable accuracy do you get between panoramas? Do you
> need to optimize the placement of the images with each batch or are you
> able to use a saved script to stitch each set?  Particularly with the
> 1:14 gear transmission.  I would think that the additional fine tuning
> and torque of the gear would be lost with backlash of the added
gear.  I
> backlash of the gear you used is not listed on the companies website.
> Or is the constant unidirectional motion of the panhead remove any
> backlash effect?
>
> What is the longest lens that you have tried on this setup?  Or largest
> panorama you have created?
>
> I hope to have two interchangeable motors and controllers on my setup.
> First, a stepper motor for accuracy and second, a continuous spinning
> motor for speed.
>
> Jim
>
> pepolo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > a few days ago I joined this group and wanted to share some
information with you.
> > My name is Traugott Emrich and living in Bavaria/Germany.
> > Due to my other hobby (flying model airplanes and helicopters) I
started with panoramas to create panoramic backgrounds for flight
simulators. After a few self made adapters I ended up in building a
motorized panorama head.
> > Today I finished to publish the page in English language so I can
present it to you and open for feedback.
> > http://emrichs.de/panoflexi/panobot-en.htm
> > The project is not commercial, all was made by my self and I have
no plan on selling this.
> > In case there is interest enough from the community and some
others would like to build the head on their own, I'm open to publish
the details as open source.