Sender:dmgalpha
Date/Time:2007-Jun-17 00:11:51
Subject:DMCA, context, and use.

PanoTools NG: DMCA, context, and use. dmgalpha 2007-Jun-17 00:11:51
Hi Yuv,

> The specific target of my DMCA is using my messages out of context.
This
> is even worse than a derivative without credits.

Wasn't your name in the postings as they were archived?
This issue is now blurry, given that they have been replaced
with a satirical image.

If I understand correctly you are using copyright legislation as a
weapon, not
the means. You don't like the way your message is cited, not
the fact that it is cited. It is not about the "right to copy"
but the fact that you don't like the way it is copied.
And you are in your full right do it. I totally accept it
(and agree that it is within your rights).

> > THe biggest issue with this is that you are saying: "I don't want
> > anybody to archive" my messages".
>
> NO. What I am saying is very different. What I am saying is "I don't
> want anybody to abuse my text", and it is the same as you saying "I
> don't want anybody to abuse my code".
>
> I respect your intellectual property. I respect your code. This is why
> when I use PTgui I use it with the old libpano prior to your
> contribution, and I use your code exactly as you request in your
license.

I understand and accept your position.

Your case and the pano13-GPL-PTgui case are different:

In your case you, and only you decide what is acceptable use. If you
don't agree with my use, you will sue me. Fine.

In the case of panotools the rules and guidelines for reuse are stated
(perhaps
in some obscure cases ambiguously, like the one argued
which you cite).

This means if you comply with my license (the GPL), I can't sue you
even if I don't like what do you with my code.

The GPL gives a license unrestricted by use. You can use it for
anything, _ANYTHING_, as long as you comply with the license.

Bruce Perens (creator of the Open Source Initiative) likes the example
of abortion:

* You cannot restrict open source code to be used by abortionist, nor
by antiabortionist.

And you can't restrict its use even if it is used in a war (no matter
how antiwar you are).

This is important for progress. You might dislike the use, but
it moves forward. And it is independent from opinion.

> I am in favor of archives if they respect
> <http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines> which is the result of a
> collective process. I have not issued DMCA against any other archive
out
> there because those other archives are respectful of my intellectual
> property and of me as an author.

SO let us make it explicit Check the terms of use of this mailing
list, set by yahoo. What I'd like to see is something
similar that states the way they can be (or not) reused.

> > The list should be open about reuse of its information.
>
> re-use yes. abuse no.

Who defines what abuse is? You, the owner of the content?
your personal bias? what if you like me today but not tomorrow?

> It is kind of ironic that the coder who insists so much on respect of
> his intellectual property is willing to consider a different
standard of
> proection for others intellectual property.

No, I want to protect your rights, and the right of others. And
my potential rights to reuse what you create.

Open source is about the ability to reuse intellectual property.
I don't ask you to relinquish your rights; just to give a license
that guarantees its reuse for the benefit of the list and its
users.

dmg