Sender:Rik Littlefield
Date/Time:2007-Jul-21 19:43:45
Subject:Re: Probably OT: HeliconFocus and Helicon Filter

PanoTools NG: Re: Probably OT: HeliconFocus and Helicon Filter Rik Littlefield 2007-Jul-21 19:43:45
--- In #removed#, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...>
wrote:

> Maybe I should explain why I am interested in Helicon Focus.
> I use PTGui (panotools) not only for 360x180 panoramas
> but also for macro stitches. The problem with macro
> always is the very limited depth of field, so sometimes
> I make a set of stitches of the same subject
> with a slightly different focusdistance for each stitch.
> Blending these in Photoshop really is a challenge
> and VERY time consuming, so a good dedicated tool
> would be very welcome. Since my macrostitches are
> usually larger than 100 Megapixels in size AND 16 bit
> colourdepth, filesizes with a couple of layers
> and masks are 'substantial'.
> So I'd really like to know if someone in this group
> uses this tool for a comparable purpose and how it performs.
> Thanks,
>
> erik leeman
>
> (Hi Luca!)

Erik,

I have done quite a bit of work on stack-and-stitch for macro
subjects -- stack for extended depth of field and stitch for extended
field size.

Typically I use Helicon Focus for the stacking and PTgui for the
stitching, but the choice of tool is much less important than
understanding and properly handling geometry issues such as parallax
and magnification change with focus depth.

Most of my work is already written up and posted on the
www.photomacrography2.net forum.

I recommend particularly to start with these:

"Autographa, stacked and stitched"
  http://www.photomacrography2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=987

"Stack & stitch experiment with telecentric optics"
  http://www.photomacrography2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1032

"Stack-and-stitch: ordinary optics vs telecentric"
  http://www.photomacrography2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1418

"Telecentric optics, third round"
  http://www.photomacrography2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1472

One specific response to your question...  It sounds like you are
stitching first and then stacking the stitches.  I think you will
find life simpler if you do it the other way around -- stack first,
then stitch together the flattened stacks.  But there are still
geometry issues to worry about -- study the references for ideas
about how to handle those.

Oh, it may also help to read this article regarding parallax and lens
systems.

'Theory of the "No-Parallax" Point in Panorama Photography'
  http://tinyurl.com/d29lu
  http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/NoParallaxPoint/
    TheoryOfTheNoParallaxPoint.pdf

I hope this is helpful.  If these readings interest you, I recommend
to join the photomacrography forum for further discussions.

Best regards,
--Rik