Sender:Rik Littlefield
Date/Time:2007-Jul-22 02:49:16
Subject:Re: Probably OT: HeliconFocus and Helicon Filter

PanoTools NG: Re: Probably OT: HeliconFocus and Helicon Filter Rik Littlefield 2007-Jul-22 02:49:16
--- In #removed#, "David Sykes" <killspammers2@...>
wrote:

> Carel wrote:
>
> > You should also look at SAR http://www.general-cathexis.com/
>
> That is a new one to me.
>
> He describes Rik and Helicon as 'competitors' and says :-
>
> "I think you will find that SAR's Extended DOF outperforms the
> competition with respect to both quality and speed."

I find it amusing to be listed as a "competitor", since I recommend
to use other folks' stuff!

I looked at SAR briefly a few months ago.

I stopped looking when I discovered that at that time it did not
provide image alignment (registration), which I have found is
absolutely required for decent macro work.

I was also not encouraged when I read this statement in the SAR
Instruction manual:

"Extended DOF Examples:
My digicam doesn't have sufficient focus control to produce suitable
images, but here is a link to test images from competitors"

The combination of missing key functionality (no alignment) and no
personal source of test images strongly suggested that the software
would have "a lot more bark than bite".

Prompted by Carel's post, I looked again at SAR today.  I see that
now it does have some forms of image alignment, an excellent
improvement.  However, it still contains the statement that the
author's digicam cannot produce suitable images for testing.  I
downloaded a copy, and in quick tests, I can't figure out how to run
it.

SAR may be a wonderful tool, but at this point, it doesn't seem worth
any more of my time to evaluate.

I will eagerly await enthusiastic reports from other people who look
harder.

--Rik