Sender:Rik Littlefield
Date/Time:2007-Jul-21 22:24:24
Subject:Re: Probably OT: HeliconFocus and Helicon Filter

PanoTools NG: Re: Probably OT: HeliconFocus and Helicon Filter Rik Littlefield 2007-Jul-21 22:24:24
--- In #removed#, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...>
wrote:

> Oops, looks like I called you Rick instead of Rik!
> Sorry 'bout that.

Not a concern, but thanks for noticing. ;-)

> For now I just want to know if Helicon Focus
> can handle very large 16 bit images and
> what quality can be expected
> for that rather steep pricetag.

Good question, not so easy to answer.  All of my prior experience is
with 8-bit, running HF on no larger than camera-size images.  To try
answering your question, I gen'd up a couple of 8471x7715 16-bit
tiff's using Photoshop (no ICC profiles, no compression, file size
392,485,732 bytes).  When I tried feeding them into Helicon Focus
4.16.4 Pro (the current release that I just downloaded), it
complained "Source image BigBlur16BitA.tif is invalid or not
supported by the program."

I don't know what's going on.  The documentation for HF indicates
that it should handle 16-bit.

I suggest downloading a trial copy and trying it on your images.  If
it doesn't work, or works badly, try asking the guys at
HeliconFocus.com -- they seem pretty responsive.  Or register as a
member in their forum, and ask there.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  The questions you're asking are
outside my experience.

--Rik