Sender:Helmut Dersch
Date/Time:2000-Jul-15 20:29:44
Subject:Re: PTViewer 1.7

proj-imim: Re: PTViewer 1.7 Helmut Dersch 2000-Jul-15 20:29:44
Caroling wrote:

> Is there any way you could conditionalize the source code to
> provide two .jars?

Carol,

you can make your own customized jar files using the class
files. For a plain ptviewer applet without the 1.7 extensions
you just need the ptviewer.class. If you don't have the
jar utility, you can download this applet from
<http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ptviewer.jar>
It is exactly 20,021 bytes large, and as far as I can
tell, still one of the smaller panorama viewers.

> I think with 1.7, you have lost something important. The
> important thing about the java applet is that it can view a
> spherical scene with a tiny download and good performance.
> That is web magic.

PTViewer 1.7 is organized exactly in this way: most new features
are added in optional extensions, which you can ommit if
you don't need them. The basic ptviewer.class hasn't changed
much. The only changes there are worth upgrading since
authoring is now simpler than in 1.6 (management of multiple
panoramas, stacked hotspots, etc).

I think this extension mechanism is a very important new feature
since it enables new functionality _without_ blowing up the
basic viewer. Eg, your previous proposal of inserting flash movies
could get realized using such an extension, etc. In the future, I
may even remove some of PTViewer's features (eg JMF-support) and put
it into an optional extension applet.

Helmut Dersch