Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2007-Aug-03 12:47:21
Subject:Re: Processor Speedtest

PanoTools NG: Re: Processor Speedtest Hans Nyberg 2007-Aug-03 12:47:21
--- In #removed#, rogerhoward@... wrote:

> Existing project, created/optimized on another workstation:
> 6 frames, Sigma 8mm/Canon 20D
> 16 bit uncompressed TIFF
> Output to 16bit 6400x3200 PSB
> Blended with Layers, no layer color correction
> PTGUI blender
>
> Both instance, followed these steps:
> launched PTGUI
> Launched batcher from
> Added test project to batch
> Timed run of batch from second I clicked start, to second where batch
> completed end of "Save" step
>
> Tiger 10.4.10
> Intel Core Duo 1.83
> 2GB RAM
> Run after restart; logged in with no startup items
> OSX: 11:08
>
> XP SP2, all current patches
> same machine as above
> Run after restart
> OSX: 9:48
>
> There are so many variables one can change in a test like this. I
> decided to only test the first pass since I only run each project
> once anyway - I didn't want OS-level file caching, for instance, to
> sway the results. I didn't test optimization (yet). I felt this was a
> simple, straightforward test of how I actually work. The difference
> isn't HUGE, but it's substantial enough not to be a rounding error.
>
> Am going to try on a Mac Pro later. Will also run the same project on
> my G5 (8GB RAM, fast disks) and other systems just for kicks.

You did not say what warping you are using.
That is what gives the large differences.

Ptgui warping without fast transform is very slow.
fast transform speeds up 100%
Panotools warping can give you even more than  100% faster.
But Panotools + fast transform is sometimes 10% slower.

Hans