Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2007-Aug-03 23:24:02
Subject:Re: Re: Processor Speedtest

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Processor Speedtest Pat Swovelin 2007-Aug-03 23:24:02
On 8/3/2007 6:35 AM, #removed# rambled on about ...:
> On Aug 3, 2007, at 3:43 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
>
>> --- In #removed#, rogerhoward@... wrote:
>>> Existing project, created/optimized on another workstation:
>>> 6 frames, Sigma 8mm/Canon 20D
>>> 16 bit uncompressed TIFF
>>> Output to 16bit 6400x3200 PSB
>>> Blended with Layers, no layer color correction
>>> PTGUI blender
>>>
>>> Both instance, followed these steps:
>>> launched PTGUI
>>> Launched batcher from
>>> Added test project to batch
>>> Timed run of batch from second I clicked start, to second where
>> batch
>>> completed end of "Save" step
>>>
>>> Tiger 10.4.10
>>> Intel Core Duo 1.83
>>> 2GB RAM
>>> Run after restart; logged in with no startup items
>>> OSX: 11:08
>>>
>>> XP SP2, all current patches
>>> same machine as above
>>> Run after restart
>>> OSX: 9:48
>>>
>>> There are so many variables one can change in a test like this. I
>>> decided to only test the first pass since I only run each project
>>> once anyway - I didn't want OS-level file caching, for instance, to
>>> sway the results. I didn't test optimization (yet). I felt this
>> was a
>>> simple, straightforward test of how I actually work. The difference
>>> isn't HUGE, but it's substantial enough not to be a rounding error.
>>>
>>> Am going to try on a Mac Pro later. Will also run the same
>> project on
>>> my G5 (8GB RAM, fast disks) and other systems just for kicks.
>> You did not say what warping you are using.
>> That is what gives the large differences.
>
> Since I'm working from 8mm fisheyes, I must be using PanoTools
> warping right? PTGUI doesn't support 8mm natively, does it?
>
> In any case, I used the exact same settings on both OSes... as close
> to an apples-to-apples comparison.

Hey!  I thought we were comparing Apples to PCs.

Oops...      =8^)

No, wait, maybe it's supposed to be Apples to Oranges.

Dang, now I'm all confused.

> I'm not so much interested at the
> moment in the actual time, as I am in the difference in time between
> the platforms. I know other people are interested in absolute time,
> so they can choose what kind of hardware to get.

Pat Swovelin
Cool Guy @ Large