Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2007-Aug-04 00:54:48
Subject:Re: Re: Processor Speedtest

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Processor Speedtest Roger Howard 2007-Aug-04 00:54:48
On Fri, August 3, 2007 3:37 pm, Hans Nyberg wrote:
> --- In #removed#, rogerhoward@... wrote:

>> > batch

> Was this run with Bootcamp? I remeber you have said that you used
> Parallels
> That might explain it.
>
> I made one with 6 fullframe images Canon 20D.
> I did not include the zenith and nadir to get the same number as your
> project.
>
> 16 bit images output 6400x3200 psd with layers
> PTgui with panotools warping
> PTGui blending
> interpolator Poly3
>
> Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
> Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
> Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
> Speedtest results PTGui 7.2
>
> OSX 10 min 40 sec
>
> Win XP run by Parallels on the same machine
> Memory set to 1268 mb
> PTGui 7.2
>
> 26 min
>
> I am surprised if running it with Parallels is so much slower.
> The resulting file is 1.45 Gb and just saving that took around 8 minutes
> on XP.

I don't know why you keep thinkkng I'm running Parallels! I'm running it
in Bootcamp. Parallels I'd definitely expect to be slower - less memory
available, less CPU available, and a virtualized harddisk interface, not
to mention 100 other reasons it'll be slower.

Bootcamp, however, runs like greased lightning - completely native, nice
drivers for the Apple hardware, etc. And it allows me to DIRECTLY compare
the exactly same app, running on the exact same hardware, running the
exact same project, with the only major difference being the OS. And in
this instance XP is beating OSX hands down.

I'm a long time Mac OSX fanatic; I'm definitely not trying to start an OS
war; I'm interested though if anyone else can replicate my results. I'm
ONLY interested in Bootcamp-based tests. Parallels, while interesting to
me (and a valid test for those who want to use Parallels) isn't for me.

Cheers,