Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2007-Aug-04 09:40:56
Subject:Re: Processor Speedtest

PanoTools NG: Re: Processor Speedtest Hans Nyberg 2007-Aug-04 09:40:56
--- In #removed#, "Ingemar Bergmark" <ingemar@...> wrote:

> --- In #removed#, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
> >
> > Yes thats what the help file says.
> > Question is what interpolator it uses than. None of the interpolators
> > you can choose in the PTgui option is available for Panotools
> > warping.
>
> I happened to find this out by mistake.
> I mentioned this a while back on the PTGui forum, since it was very
> confusing.
>
> I used to always choose Stitch using: PTGui, and I had Lanczos chosen
> as my interpolator and didn't think more about it.
> It turns out that if you have a fisheye image, the warping will always
> be done with Panotools, no matter what Stitching setting you use.
>
> But like you said it didn't use Lanczos at all. I was always amazed by
> how fast the warping was, and it turned out that it had been using
> Poly3 all this time!
>
> The way to find out what interpolator will be used is to simply change
> the Stitch setting to PTGui (but warp using Panorama tools).
> The interpolator that shows up in the list is the one that will be used
> as default.
>
> If you want to change to another one as a default just make sure you
> have selected stitch using PTGui (but warp using panorama tools) and
> select your preferred interpolator, then select File->Make default.
> After this you can change back to stitch using PTGui, and whenever
> Panotools is used for warping you'll know what interpolator will be
> used.

This might be the reason why a couple of people have reported some very strange
differences in speed between PTgui normal and fast transform.
Just look at Erik Leemans report
PTGui normal Time needed: 4:41
PTGui fast transform Time needed: 1:27

This does not make sense and I can not at all get that differences on Mac or XP.

Also it can explain Roger Howards report with his own project  that contadicts all other
speedtests that say that PTGui Mac is much faster on a similar size processor.

Hans