Sender:Bernhard Vogl
Date/Time:2005-Sep-18 14:35:37
Subject:Re: has anyone experience with gps?

PanoTools: Re: has anyone experience with gps? Bernhard Vogl 2005-Sep-18 14:35:37
Hello Luca

Luca Vascon wrote:

>I need a GPS for panoramic photography survey...
>I know satellite signal is disturbed for military sec. reasons, and I know

Since the year 2000 the signal is not disturbed any more.

>that is possible to achieve a greater precision with some "filters", just
>giving the gps the time to work.

Greater precision can be achieved by using the WAAS/EGNOS signal or a
DGPS device.
WAAS/EGNOS introduce an special additional satellite. WAAS is USA and
already up and running, EGNOS is Europe and still in testing phase -
therefore not obeyed by the GPS recievers. It is no good idea to use
WAAS/EGNOS in Europe at the moment because the US satellites are too
near the horizon and falsify measurings.
DGPS accuracy goes down below centimeters but the devices are very
expensive and you will probably have to subscribe to a service to be
able to use the ground-based difference signal.
Position accuracy is directly related to probability of a correct
measure. Consumer devices are mostly referred to a accuracy of 5m which
is in most cases a probability of ~80%.

>Given that, I've a Palm OS 5.2 based platform with bluetooth, wi-fi and SDIO
>cards.
>And know NOTHING about GPS.
>Any suggestion???
>I'd appreciate any link, any knowledge apport.
>THANX!
>:-)

Here are some links for your convinience:
http://www.cmtinc.com/gpsbook/index.htm
http://gpsinformation.net/
Accuracy:
http://www.doylesdartden.com/gis/gpstest.htm
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/gps/accuracy.html

Best regards
Bernhard

P.S.: Yiorgos: I like the cockpit view. It feels like being a pilot   :-)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/.Cr1lB/TM