Sender:Santiago Ribas
Date/Time:2005-Sep-20 23:31:22
Subject:Re: has anyone experience with gps?

PanoTools: Re: has anyone experience with gps? Santiago Ribas 2005-Sep-20 23:31:22
Luca Vascon19/09/05 14:#removed#

> What do you mean????
> My goal is to make building-object panoramas, or to make multiple panoramic
> shots over one year, that has to be taken in the same position with a
> 10-20cm. No possibility to let down signals and so on.
> And few founds to develope these researches...
> :-)

Luca

You have a variety of mesurement devices based on gps signal. You just have
to decide how much you are prepared to spend.
All topographic devices are now using gps signals for sub-cm precision.
Navigation GPS are not recommended for your purpose. Perhaps the one from
Leica systems is a good compromise for your kind of needs. It¹s a new (1-2
years old) handheld device specially created to draw maps and area
calculations. Perhaps is in the 10cm precision range you need, and at a
reasonably cost.
Building objects are difficult to measure using navigation GPS (4m error). I
recommend you preparing the measurements first with a CAD software, and than
using a laser tape (Leica Disto) to implement all those positions around the
building. Depending on the size of your building and distance around it, you
will need 72 or more images.
If I would repeat this kind of job, I would use a motorized quad with
deflated tyres, with a constant speed around the building and a camcorder to
shoot in video directly.

Regards

Santiago

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/.Cr1lB/TM