Sender:Ian Wood
Date/Time:2006-May-26 21:00:57
Subject:5D plus Sigma 12-24mm (was: New monopod panos)

PanoTools: 5D plus Sigma 12-24mm (was: New monopod panos) Ian Wood 2006-May-26 21:00:57
On 26 May 2006, at 19:51, panoramicsdk wrote:

> For multirow the Sigma 12-24 is absolutelly a good lens.
>
> I have just made a 19.000 pixels multirow using it on the 5D at 24mm.
> I made the same pano with the Canon 15mm fisheye which gives me
> 11.500 pixels.
> I was mazed how much better the Sigma multirow shot was.
> Even reduced to a standard fullscreen size of 6000 pixels you can
> see the difference.
>
> The Sigma 12-24mm is soft but when you learned how to sharpen it it
> is very good.
> And it stitches without problem because of no  distortion.
>
> Hans

My 5D turned up yesterday, so I've been having a play with it and the
12-24mm, and was pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up at 12mm
(wiiiiiiideangle!) if you stop down a bit.

For really silly stuff you can do a cylinder in four horizontal
shots, or for better vertical coverage five vertical shots. Or a
whole sphere in 5x2, but you need to do some vignetting correction as
the points where four dim image corners overlap tends to look a bit
yucky.

Ian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM