Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2007-May-15 14:26:31
Subject:Re: Sigma 8 F3.5 and its sharpness

PanoTools NG: Re: Sigma 8 F3.5 and its sharpness Hans Nyberg 2007-May-15 14:26:31
--- In #removed#, "udedomenico" <udedomenico@...> wrote:

> Days ago I have posted the following pic with regards to the right
> rolling to gain enough FOV to cover 360 with 4 shots:
>
> http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/TestSigma3_5_60DegreesRolled.jpg
>
> As far as I am concerned I have resolved that bit thanks to your tips
> and instructions.
>
> Now I am looking at the same pic to investigate a second issue which
> is very important and it is unresolved to me: the "new" sigma 8 F3.5
> and its sharpness.
>
> Maybe it's just because I am used to the wonderful Nikkor 10.5 but the
> sharpness I have achieved so far with the sigma 8 F3.5 is pretty poor.
>
> The above link should show that quite clearly. It's not sharp.

Looks very sharp to me.
All lenses needs some after sharpening  with unsharp mask.

You do not say how you sharpened the originals.

Your panorama needs 200% at radius 0.4 in photoshop to give you perfect sharpness but
remember everything has a backside and sharpening more means also that you get larger
compressed sizes.

Hans