Sender:Milko Amorth
Date/Time:2007-Jul-30 01:15:53
Subject:Re: processor upgrade

PanoTools NG: Re: processor upgrade Milko Amorth 2007-Jul-30 01:15:53
Hi Masten,

> Seems a bit crap as Ive had this processor more than 3 years, or am
> I missing something.

I am not sure if such simple mathematics can be applied here, but it would
be very interesting to see.
There are so many factors to keep your CPU bussy.
Mine for instance, is kept occupied sometimes by up to a 100% by a stupid
linksys wireless N card driver.
Or windows explorer in itself can sometimes idle with 98%! Only to name a
few nuisances....

That is why I keep one dedicated stitcher box with nothing in it but bare
basics. And not the newest ones either.
Plus, disconnected from the network when pushed for the go!

I have not seen or heard of any decent benchmark tests done yet. Perhaps
we all can do one on common inputs now?

I recently did a batch in PTgui/ptgui blender of 19 pano project files of
6000 to 8000 pixel wide equirectangulars.tif
with no layers in 24 minutes. Seems to work pretty darn fast to
me.....though i would be interested in what "fast" really is.

Keep in mind...this is only the stitching part. The time to get the .pts
to the raw outputimage.tif

I propose a benchmark test with 4 circular fisheye images to a 6000x3000
equirectangular.tif blended no layers.
The blender and stitcher to be determined yet.
We have got PTGuiblender, Smartblend and Enblend for blending and Ptgui,
Ptgui/Panorama Tools for warp or Panorama Tools (PTStitcher/Nona/Ptmender)
for stitching available in PTGui.

This could make an end to the hunt (for us panorama makers) of constant
and expensive upgrade wishes imposed by the hyped MHZ marketing going
on....and not knowing if we would be gaining speed.

Anybody interested or suggestions?

Cheers, Milko

--
Milko Amorth
360° Immersive Imaging

PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
Skype me @ vrdundee
Member of IVRPA.org