Sender:Bernhard Vogl
Date/Time:2007-Aug-03 18:51:38
Subject:Re: Re: Processor Speedtest

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Processor Speedtest Bernhard Vogl 2007-Aug-03 18:51:38
Oopsa, sorry - pressed the wrong button...

Hello Hans,

> are you sure about the last numbers using fast transform.
> It does not make sense that your is 1 min faster only in that option while the 2 others are
> the same.

This is indeed an interesting question.
As you can see, the results are very consistent on the 3 desktop systems
i tested:

Core2Duo @ 1800 Mhz: 1:02
Core2Duo @ 1600 Mhz: 1:17
Athlon XP @ 2200 Mhz: 1:41

I'm not so good in CPU and VM internals, but maybe the VM uses some
optimizations to "route through" the code and the fast transform feature
utilizes special CPU instructions that are not optimized.
> I updated my pano12.dll to the faster version but that does not make any differense at all.

I think, the differences are very subtile. I think, this would be tested
best, e.g. by greating a project with many images to warp (no blending,
warped images only saved as TIFF_m)

Best regards
Bernhard