Sender:Jim Watters
Date/Time:2007-Aug-03 23:15:51
Subject:Re: Re: Processor Speedtest

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Processor Speedtest Jim Watters 2007-Aug-03 23:15:51
Pat Swovelin wrote:
> On 8/3/2007 9:11 AM, Hans Nyberg rambled on about ...:
>
>> are you sure about the last numbers using fast transform.
>> It does not make sense that your is 1 min faster only in that
>> option while the 2 others are the same.
>> I updated my pano12.dll to the faster version but that does
>> not make any differense at all.
>>
> Then what's the supposed advantage of the faster version (vs. the stable
> one)?

The stable version is compiled with MinGW
The faster version is compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio.
The version in the MSI is the MinGW version.
The problem is really with the older tools (PTStitcher and PTOptimizer)
because they free memory that was allocated by the dll instead of
telling the dll to free it.

The MSVS compiled version uses a different pair of memory functions to
allocate and free that are not compatible with the ones used by the
older tools.  This problem happens when one of the older tools are used
with the MSVS version of the dll.  memory is allocated in the dll and
then freed in tool.

If matching pair of operations are not used then it *may* cause a
crash.  On my older PC it never happened.  On my newer PC, one is five
times it will crash.  (Which is why the MSI includes the MinGW version)

The speed increase will only be in the warping of the image.

--
Jim Watters

jwatters @ photocreations . ca
http://photocreations.ca