Sender:Bruno Postle
Date/Time:2007-Nov-29 23:05:49
Subject:Re: pseudo "scanning" a large map

PanoTools NG: Re: pseudo "scanning" a large map Bruno Postle 2007-Nov-29 23:05:49
On Thu 29-Nov-2007 at 13:05 +0000, paul womack wrote:

>On a loosely related theme, I would like to use panoramic
>techniques to make a hiresolution "scan" of a roughly
>36"x24" (very old, quite fragile, paper) map.
>
>I certainly don't have a flatbed scanner that size,
>and a tesselated scan would on my A4 flatbed
>would endanger the map physically.
>
>Are there any special difficulties here?

It's more complex than a usual stitching job, but it is all doable
with any panotools-derived tool - Look for tutorials on stitching
'linear panoramas'.  I think you are using hugin, in which case
there is a tutorial here:

http://www.dojoe.net/tutorials/linear-pano/

There was some more discussion of this tutorial earlier on the ptx
list (sorry, just trying to avoid duplication):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ptx/8060/focus=8082

>What stitching projection should I use?

Rectilinear.

>One concern is maintaining "linearity" so that 1" at the edge of
>the map is the same size(!) in my final output as 1" in the middle
>of the map.

Use horizontal and vertical control points to keep the perspective
'straight-on'.

--
Bruno