Sender:Sacha Griffin
Date/Time:2007-Nov-30 19:08:05
Subject:RE: pseudo "scanning" a large map

PanoTools NG: RE: pseudo "scanning" a large map Sacha Griffin 2007-Nov-30 19:08:05
There are some tutorials for this. Utilizing panotools.

Unfortunately, panotools tries to map onto a sphere.

You can fudge the situation to get some good results, but I would suggest
only using panotools

to defish your images. For best results, use a lens with the least amount of
native distortion. Like a 50mm lens.

You may not even need to defish it. Then you would setup your camera, and
not move it.

Affix your map to something flat and move that.

Then you can just use photoshop for assembling.

And if needed, when everything is aligned, you COULD save each layer to its
own file and use a blender on it.

But a mask in photoshop would probably suffice.

Since you're just doing some "scanning" of something too big for a scanner,
you probably only need 4-8 shots.

Using photoshop transforms, would be extremely quick and save yourself the
headache of getting panotools to do something it was not designed for.

Sacha Griffin
www.southern-digital.com
www.seeit360.net
www.ezphotosafe.com