Sender:Rodrigo Fonseca
Date/Time:2001-Jun-04 18:29:10
Subject:Re: Site closed, and changes (prior art needed!)

proj-imim: Re: Site closed, and changes (prior art needed!) Rodrigo Fonseca 2001-Jun-04 18:29:10
Aren't these enough to establish prior art? Ipix didn't make these things
up!

Quoted from http://www.worldserver.com/turk/quicktimevr/fisheye.html

In Ned Greene's seminal environment paper, he mentions the use of a fisheye
image as the texture for an environmental map. He shows a picture of 5
polygons texture-mapped using a fisheye image as a source texture, arranged
in a hemicube formation, to illustrate the fisheye's ability to enclose
space. This is exactly the same kind of projection described by Telerobotics
(ipix) in their subsequent 1993 patent, the first in a series of patents
relating to the use of fisheye lenses.

[
Greene86nov
Greene, Ned, Environment Mapping and Other Applications of World
Projections, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, November 1986, vol. 6,
no. 11, pp. 21-29.
]

A companion paper, actually published several months before, described the
geometry of the fisheye lens, as applied to synthesizing Omnimax movies.
In [Greene86jun], Ned Greene gives the formulas for converting the fish-eye
coordinates into spherical coordinates:

[
Greene, Ned and Paul Heckbert, Creating Raster Omnimax Images from Multiple
Perspective Views Using the Elliptically Weighted Average Filter, IEEE
Computer Graphics and Applications, June 1986, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 21-27.
]

Furthermore, I think Helmut should file for a patent for the optimizer, that
is something they don't have!

Regards,
Rodrigo