Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2006-Feb-20 15:54:34
Subject:Re: PTGui 5.7 - how to use the antialiasing filters ?

PanoTools: Re: PTGui 5.7 - how to use the antialiasing filters ? Erik Krause 2006-Feb-20 15:54:34
Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> writes:

> EK> Could you comment on how large the kernels are?
>
> I have added the values to the http://www.pano2qtvr.com/dll_patch.php
> page. This size is without shrinking.

Do I understand right that the largest kernel is 4x4 pixels? This is far smaller
than half of the "old" interpolators, which used up to 32x32 pixels (sinc1024).

> EK> And do you have any estimation about execution times?
>
> I would say 50% to 100% slower than the original filters without fast

100% slower means no speed at all - infinite execution time? ;-)

> transformation since I always have to use the inverse transformation
> to estimate the kernel size and for this reason, I can not use the
> fast transformation code. The execution time also highly depends on the
> amount of shrinking, because the kernel gets bigger, if there are more
> pixels involved (f.e. for the center pixel in the zenith/nadir cube face I
> have to average the full width of the equirectangular....)
>
> EK> If not I'll probably set up some batch file to automatically
> EK> measure the times...
>
> It is always a good idea to have an independent tester... ;)

kernel size dependent from downsampling factor means that execution time highly
depends on what you do. One would have to write a true benchmark with an average
usage profile...

best regards
Erik