Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2009-Jan-07 12:41:16
Subject:Re: new 360cities pano interface, was Re: Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, without the tower"

PanoTools NG: Re: new 360cities pano interface, was Re: Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, without the tower" Keith Martin 2009-Jan-07 12:41:16
Sometime around 7/1/09 (at 11:14 +0100) Jeffrey Martin said:

>the VR world has to move past the "single
>fullscreen image with no options" of 5 years ago.

The absence of visible hotspots and other controls may well SEEM
old-fashioned, but this is a perfectly legitimate approach to pano
display. As is having everything visible, of course! I don't regard
the absence of visible controls as dated, just more traditional.

This is more of an aesthetic choice that is governed in part by the
publisher's goal for the panos and the site. Most of the time when I
show panos I intend them to be seen as single views with as few
distractions as possible. However, the norm for a tour-oriented
approach would - logically enough - have helpful buttons and other
items on display.

It is particularly important to note the terminology I just used:
"distractions" and "helpful items" can refer to exactly the same
thing, the only difference being the publisher's intent for the
panoramas.

...Okay, also the end user's perception. But when someone wants to
take a virtual tour they probably won't want to hunt for controls,
whereas when they want to look at a single pano at a time, not as
part of a spatially connected set, they probably won't want to have
controls covering any part of the image.

Thus, if the visitor's perception of the site and how they want to
use it is the same as the publisher's, their preference for seeing or
not seeing controls will probably be aligned.

So no, the world doesn't have to move on - we just need to recognise
that there are aesthetic requirements to consider.

Having said all this, I do feel, personally, that the arrows are a
little more obtrusive than I'd like. But defaulting to having them
hidden would probably mean many people won't ever see them or take a
virtual tour through a city.

Would it be possible to have them much fainter initially but bring
them up to their current opacity level after a certain length of time
(such as 2 seconds) with no user interaction?