Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2009-Jan-12 03:07:04
Subject:Re: new 360cities pano interface, was Re: Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, without the tower"

PanoTools NG: Re: new 360cities pano interface, was Re: Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, without the tower" Pat Swovelin 2009-Jan-12 03:07:04
On 1/11/2009 5:27 PM, Ken Warner's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
typed ...:
> That would be nice -- the first time you saw it.
> How would it be to have to look at that *EVERY* time
> you looked at *ANY* pano.
>
> Do you think you would get as enraged as I would get?

Apparently 1 click is too much for you so please continue to hide all of
your work with controllers and maps.  Then use autorotation to turn it
into a movie so people won't interact with it.

I'm sure you'll be happier.

Meanwhile the rest of us can have a thoughtful conversation about it
without being enraged when someone voices an opinion.

> I mean how many panos do you have to look at before you get
> the idea of moving your view with the mouse? Once? Twice if
> you are really stupid. Maybe 10 or 20 times if your name starts
> B and ends with ush. But would a person that dumb really want
> to look at a pano? He'd probably look behind the monitor to see if
> he could see the whole thing at once.
>
> The question is how does a newbie -- a first timer -- get the message
> to click and drag the mouse and then never have to see that message
> again? I'm thinking cookies and a standard JavaScript...
>
> Uri Cogan wrote:
>> Pat Swovelin is rumoured to have written:
>>

>>> Controllers and everything else (*including* autorotation, because to
>>> the average site visitor it becomes a movie and they simply sit there
>>> and watch it rendering the pano's interactivity pointless) should be
>>> turned off by default. There should be an information image centered in
>>> the pano (that's closed with a single-click) that tells the site visitor
>>> how to manipulate the panorama with a mouse and directs them to the
>>> collapsed controller in the bottom-left corner with, if necessary, a
>>> collapsed map in the top-left corner.
>>>

>> Yes!
>>
>> How about some of the resident designer/wizards creating some such
>> customizable, or even animated "information images"? I keep imagining a
>> little animated "hand" clicking a "mouse" and demonstrating how to move
>> a little "panorama". No words, just plain, clean symbols that could
>> hopefully be understood by almost anyone.

Pat Swovelin
Cool Guy @ Large