Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2009-Jan-07 13:07:47
Subject:new 360cities pano interface, was Re: Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower,

PanoTools NG: new 360cities pano interface, was Re: Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, Hans Nyberg 2009-Jan-07 13:07:47
--- In #removed#, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...> wrote:

hBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZ
AMyNTcyMARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjMxMzIyMDgw>Regarding
> Opera - Thanks for everyone's comments.We'll get the site running smoothly
> in opera. Give us a few days please :)I agree, my complaints were made
> rather out of ignorance, I realize that the user base of Opera might be
> small but should not be dismissed, I stand corrected. I will try Opera
> (again) myself, and be sure that our site works just fine on it. Thanks
> Bjorn for starting this conversation, and bringing me around.
>

> Hans, thanks for your critique ;-)
>
> I haven't had any experience with FF or Safari freezing, or taking anything
> but a few seconds to load any page or any pano. We have tested it thoroughly
> across browsers and platforms (opera excluded, hahaha). So I can't really
> take your comment seriously unless you can give me more information, if you
> can tell me any more (off list) I'd really appreciate it.

Actually the loading problems have dissapeard now. I noticed it already yesterday and I
have checked today again.
I can see you have done some changes as the Flash bg color is black now  but that is of
course not the problem.
The only errors now are error messages which appears at the bottom when loading mostly
from map. They go away when the pano loads.
Also panning is better now also on my PPC Mac. I can see it is Flash10 now, have you
changed the default settings?

There  is another thing which also could have been the problem and that is you server
(connection actually) I can see it is in California. That is of course OK for US visitors but
most of the world suffers from it.
I never get more than 5000 kbps from california. Mostly it is 2000-3000 in US day time.
And I have a 15 megabit which gives me 10000-14000 here in  Europe.
I have checked this since many years and what ever speed connection you have you just
have to cut it in half for US sites. It might be different in other countries, I get my TDC
ADSL through Zurich.

Also the inclusion of Google maps is dangerous as they often have loading problems and it
does not help if you have it disabled in the panorama. Remember that all elements are still
in the panorama also when they are disabled. And they affect performance.

Hans