Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-Apr-04 02:52:22
Subject:Re: Interactive Flash movies into panoramas with DevalVR

PanoTools: Re: Interactive Flash movies into panoramas with DevalVR Roger Howard 2006-Apr-04 02:52:22
On Apr 3, 2006, at 2:15 PM, fiero wrote:

> Thank you for your comments! :-)
>
>  On 4/3/06, Bert Vierstra <#removed#> wrote:
>
>> Guess who holds an American "patent" for this?
>>
>> .....    right. E(b)olas:
>>
>> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6616701.html
>>

> I'm spanish. In Europe software patents do not exist. Software
> patents are
> the virus that we must eradicate. In the USA "mouse double clicks" are
> patented, IT'S CRAZY. I NEVER will pay attention to software patents.

Since we all live on the same Internet, it's unfortunately going to
impact everyone as it's unlikely we'll see a European version of IE,
for instance. As long as companies feel the need to abide by US law -
and many companies not based in the US nevertheless have financial
interests here - then it's something none of us can ignore.

I've little doubt we'll see the EU powers fold on this issue and
adopt similar stances to the US.

In the meantime, what's far worse than the simple software patent are
the obvious abuses of the patent system, the total ineptitude of the
patent offices to conduct a proper review, and the relative
inaccessibility of the patent review process by the public. These
issues all will remain whether we have literal software patents or
not - in fact we'd probably see MORE "business process" patents as a
convenient substitute.