Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2012-Feb-17 23:41:06
Subject:Re: Re: I just don't get Facebook...

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: I just don't get Facebook... Pat Swovelin 2012-Feb-17 23:41:06
On 2/15/2012 12:21 PM, Hans wrote:

> --- In #removed#, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Ken Warner wrote:
>>
>>> We all use this forum to announce or denigrate other types of forums.
>>> What does that tell you?
>>
>> You might. The vast, vast majority of people I know, work with, and
>> socialize with, don't subscribe to any mailing lists - in fact a
>> significantly large number of people I associate with barely use
>> email at all, as it's viewed (rightly, in my judgement) a terribly
>> limited, >awkward, and inflexible medium.
>
> I have never used Panotools as a mailing list.
> Why would you spam, you mail with it when you can visit it online and
> post online.
>
> I do not understand why people choose to receive mails from it.

Because you have *local control* of everything which gives you access to
that knowledge anytime and anywhere without a Net connection.  Nothing
else allows you that capability.  And if you need to you can always
access it with a web-based UI.

> Hans
>

>> Anyway, this *mailing list* has a lot of noise on it these days,
>> including discussions of the opinions of the relative value of other
>> communications mediums, frequent debates about platforms, and other
>> discussions with only the most tenuous connection to the stated
>> purpose of the forum. I would agree, not every medium is right for
>> everyone - it's often generational and cultural - but to suggest that
>> those mediums are not valuable is entirely self-centered. But mailing
>> lists are hardly the end-all-be-all of social communications mediums.
>>
>> If you think Twitter is just for following Bieber, and Facebook is
>> all about fending off requests from people you left behind when you
>> graduated high school, you use them differently than I do.

Pat Swovelin
Cool Guy @ Large