Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2012-Feb-18 00:07:30
Subject:Re: Re: I just don't get Facebook...

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: I just don't get Facebook... Pat Swovelin 2012-Feb-18 00:07:30
On 2/17/2012 2:54 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
> One could datamine FB with a program such as "Teleport" ... saving
> everything to one's HDD... but considering all the cat-stories,
> weather reports from granny's kitchen window etc, there would be
> little sense in doing so.  On the other hand, today's society for
> "most", doesn't include "no internet access".  We are connected 98% of
> the time, and I doubt that any information is so essential that it
> could not wait for a connection to be retrieved.

Imagine you're in a remote shooting location and need access to that
data.  Imagine you're in an airplane and need access to that data.
Imagine your Net connection goes down (the horror!) and you need access
to that date.  Imagine ... well you get the idea.  If it's local you
always have access to it.

> That being said, I see this group as the perfect setup, and would not
> like it to change over to anything remotely resembling FB.

Hear hear!

> Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Exactly.

> Trausti
>

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Pat Swovelin
> <#removed# <mailto:#removed#&gt;> wrote:
>
>     On 2/15/2012 12:21 PM, Hans wrote:
>>

>>     --- In #removed#
>>     <mailto:#removed#>, Roger Howard
>>     <rogerhoward@...> <mailto:rogerhoward@...> wrote:

>>>     You might. The vast, vast majority of people I know, work with,
>>>     and socialize with, don't subscribe to any mailing lists - in
>>>     fact a significantly large number of people I associate with
>>>     barely use email at all, as it's viewed (rightly, in my
>>>     judgement) a terribly limited, >awkward, and inflexible medium.
>>
>>     I have never used Panotools as a mailing list.
>>     Why would you spam, you mail with it when you can visit it online
>>     and post online.
>>
>>     I do not understand why people choose to receive mails from it.
>
>     Because you have *local control* of everything which gives you
>     access to that knowledge anytime and anywhere without a Net
>     connection.  Nothing else allows you that capability.  And if you
>     need to you can always access it with a web-based UI.
>

>>     Hans
>>

>>>     Anyway, this *mailing list* has a lot of noise on it these days,
>>>     including discussions of the opinions of the relative value of
>>>     other communications mediums, frequent debates about platforms,
>>>     and other discussions with only the most tenuous connection to
>>>     the stated purpose of the forum. I would agree, not every medium
>>>     is right for everyone - it's often generational and cultural -
>>>     but to suggest that those mediums are not valuable is entirely
>>>     self-centered. But mailing lists are hardly the end-all-be-all
>>>     of social communications mediums.
>>>
>>>     If you think Twitter is just for following Bieber, and Facebook
>>>     is all about fending off requests from people you left behind
>>>     when you graduated high school, you use them differently than I do.

Pat Swovelin
Cool Guy @ Large