Sender:scannerist
Date/Time:2006-Sep-04 22:41:45
Subject:Re: Which viewer to use...

PanoTools NG: Re: Which viewer to use... scannerist 2006-Sep-04 22:41:45
--- In #removed#, Fulvio Senore <mailing@...> wrote:

> > Some form of encryption so I can demo panos to clients on a temporal
> > "timed" basis and / or restrict viewing of the pano to a specific
> > domain or web page.
> >
> PTViewer can use encrypted files: they can be viewed only from a
> specific domain.

Are you talking about this program:

http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/PTViewer/CreatePTV.htm

> PTViewer is fast enough for fullscreen. The problem is that java (with
> its standard settings) has not enough memory available for a full
screen
> pano. All java viewers have that problem: the immervision viewer simply
> reduces the image size on the fly, in order to fit it in available
> memory. IMHO downloading a large file just to downsize it on the client
> is not the best solution. Since end users will not surely change the
> java settings they all would have to reduce the pano.

Generally speaking, what are the "memory" limitations relative to the
file size of the pano? Are there any anectdotal numbers available that
provide a clue as to how many people are categorically in the "not
enough memory" camp?

Is the alternative, or solution, for those "end users will not surely
change the java settings they all would have to reduce the pano" is to
use QTVR?

As a comment... One of my first reactions is it's a smart move to have
 a viewer automatically adjust to memory requirements so you can see
the pano full screen, albeit lower resolution, as opposed to it not
working at all. Even if the quality suffers, it seems the impact of
the size and the "wow" factor makes up for the shortcoming. Comes
under the heading of "I'll take what I can get under the
circumstances." More importantly, I wouldn't want to get into a
position where I hear a client say "we get a lot of complaints from
people who try to look at the pano." But if you're saying that most or
no computers have the memory to handle full screen panos, then that's
a different conversation.

I am of the opinion that a client would be advised that panos,
particularly the larger panos, are not going always going to be
compatible. But given how fast we are moving into faster and better
computers along with broadband growth in double digits, there's no
reason to be so shy about vending this kind of media at this point --
particularly if it's aimed at a high end users market.

Please feel free to disagree and tell me where I am wrong. Relatively
speaking, I am a newbie to the world of panoramics, so I look to hear
from those who are seasoned veterens, particularly those who do this
for income.

Thanks!

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng