Sender:scannerist
Date/Time:2006-Sep-07 10:22:32
Subject:Re: Which viewer to use...

PanoTools NG: Re: Which viewer to use... scannerist 2006-Sep-07 10:22:32
> > --- In #removed#, Fulvio Senore <mailing@> wrote:

> I think that it is a good explanation. Another one is that QTVR has
been
> the first product to be released, and this is a very conservative
market.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by a "conservative market."

> Pano2QTVR is a very recent software.

I was impressed with the demo and am planning on purchasing it.

> > Don't I recall there being an "anti aliasing" setting for Immervision
> > that will eliminate the "shimmer"?
> >
> I did not make any test, but if the demo in the Immervision site does
> not use antialiasing there must be good reasons.

The default for the antialiasing is enabled. It can be switched off
which eliminates the shimmer.

> Some time ago I read that antialiasing caused a large slowdown, but
> those are second hand news.

Personally, I think it should be "switchable" by the user. I do find
it's nice to be able to simply click and hold the cursor over the
image so you can temporarily see the antialiasing enabled.

> Since I am about to release PTViewer V2.8 it would be interesting to
set
> up some comparison pages, showing the same images with different
viewers.
> I can create the ptviewer pages and I can host all the pages. Some
> people with experience in the various viewers should create the
other pages.
> If there are some volunteers we might create some useful page.

I'd like to see a survey of 50 - 100 people who know nothing about
panos look at some different viewers without them knowing exactly what
they are looking at and looking for -- ask them about what they saw
and whether they could view all the different panos. I wouldn't prompt
them. I want to hear which "view" of the same image impressed them
most and why, and then tell me what they didn't like and what they
wish for. I believe you will have the majority drawn to arge screen /
full screen display and they say either little or nothing about
resolution -- you have to prompt them.

A broader survey would begin to back up my informal surveys (my wife,
friends -- as long as they're not picky geeks like me, etc.) I just
say "look at this", and if they say "wow", and they're not just being
nice to me so they can munge my IBC root beer, that's the direction I
go. I found it interesting, I get a much bigger "WOW" when I do go to
full screen. I have yet to have any of my guinea pigs say anything
about resolution. I am showing them a 600 - 770kb image, roughly 3000
x 1500 px on a 1280 x 1024 px display and have used different viewers.

These notes are informal and inconclusive, and probably don't bring
much to the table, but I thought I would share them nonetheless.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WktRrD/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/gWFolB/TM

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng