Sender:scannerist
Date/Time:2006-Sep-05 10:43:50
Subject:Re: Which viewer to use...

PanoTools NG: Re: Which viewer to use... scannerist 2006-Sep-05 10:43:50
--- In #removed#, Fulvio Senore <mailing@...> wrote:

> scannerist ha scritto:
> > --- In #removed#, Fulvio Senore <mailing@> wrote:

> It think that a good solution is to use java to show a relatively small
> version of the pano as a first step. Then you could use QTVR to show
> fullscreens for those who have it installed. You could also try to
> detect the installed viewer and act accordingly, but this would require
> dynamic page generation.

Do you have a range of image sizes and compression rates you're
comfortable with for the small version and for the large version?

> Since all users have the same amount of memory it is probably better to
> create images small enough than to create larger images and have the
> clients to downsize them after a longer download.

Given those preferences, what viewer and image sizes are you talking
about?

> It is a matter of taste: I preferred to add the ability to quickly
> download what the user is currently looking at, just to have the best
> impression of speed.

And there's also a personal taste for speed.

> Of course people at Immervision have a different opinion, and they
> focused on different features. I think that there is room for both
viewers.

I can see that.

> You will have to wait for other replies. I am not doing this for an
> income: I have a different work and this is only an hobby for me.
> This is probably the reason why I am more interested in quality than the
> average user and I prefer to add more technical features. Just think at
> the Lanczos2 interpolator of PTViewer: end users will never see the
> difference, but I do and it is enough to implement it.

I admire your focus and appreciate your comments. Thank you.

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng