Sender:Fulvio Senore
Date/Time:2006-Sep-08 15:26:06
Subject:Re: Re: Which viewer to use...

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Which viewer to use... Fulvio Senore 2006-Sep-08 15:26:06
scannerist ha scritto:
> I'd like to see a survey of 50 - 100 people who know nothing about
> panos look at some different viewers without them knowing exactly what
> they are looking at and looking for -- ask them about what they saw
> and whether they could view all the different panos. I wouldn't prompt
> them. I want to hear which "view" of the same image impressed them
> most and why, and then tell me what they didn't like and what they
> wish for. I believe you will have the majority drawn to arge screen /
> full screen display and they say either little or nothing about
> resolution -- you have to prompt them.
>
> A broader survey would begin to back up my informal surveys (my wife,
> friends -- as long as they're not picky geeks like me, etc.) I just
> say "look at this", and if they say "wow", and they're not just being
> nice to me so they can munge my IBC root beer, that's the direction I
> go. I found it interesting, I get a much bigger "WOW" when I do go to
> full screen. I have yet to have any of my guinea pigs say anything
> about resolution. I am showing them a 600 - 770kb image, roughly 3000
> x 1500 px on a 1280 x 1024 px display and have used different viewers.
>
> These notes are informal and inconclusive, and probably don't bring
> much to the table, but I thought I would share them nonetheless
Of course everybody likes more a full screen pano than one in a smaller
window, when it is loaded.
What would be interesting is to see if casual users will wait until a
full screen pano is loaded or if they will give up and go to another site.
Large panos require time to download, so if users are not motivated it
is likely that they will not wait.

I also believe that most casual users are not interested in quality, so
they will not see any difference among viewers.
People keep printing photos in minilabs with really bad quality. As long
as they recognize their faces, they are happy.

Fulvio Senore

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng