Sender:scannerist
Date/Time:2006-Sep-07 19:07:06
Subject:Re: Which viewer to use...

PanoTools NG: Re: Which viewer to use... scannerist 2006-Sep-07 19:07:06
--- In #removed#, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:

> Fulvio means that most content providers are reluctant to use another
> or better viewer, even if there are much better ones.
>
> The problem is that the install base of QT is pretty high and anyone
> who wants to display spherical panos uses the technology that is most
> common.

Is there any anectdotal information on which has more of an installed
base, Java or QTVR?

> If you want really good fullscreen viewers I suggest you try DevalVR
> (very small download, very good quality, fast enhancement cycle) or
> Spi-V (reasonable install base for Shockwave, highly configurable).
> Both support a couple of formats and both can be adjusted in many
> ways (no hard coded min and max zoom f.e.).

I had checked this out. Looks like a good product. While I personally
am not hesitant to load a new program, the large majority of my
audience is sitting at work where they are not going to commit to, or
aren't allowed to, download an app of any kind onto their office
machines. Hence, my particular need is to use whichever is, in fact,
more prevalant.

Just to throw this in again... Many thanks to all of you obviously
talented people for chipping in on this conversation and staying
objective. What a treat this is. I am learning quite a lot. Many thanks.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SktRrD/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/gWFolB/TM

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng