Sender:Fulvio Senore
Date/Time:2006-Sep-06 21:38:58
Subject:Re: Re: Which viewer to use...

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Which viewer to use... Fulvio Senore 2006-Sep-06 21:38:58

scannerist ha scritto:
> --- In #removed#, Fulvio Senore <mailing@...> wrote:
>

>>> And if I use QTVR, what are my size / memory restrictions?
>>>

>> AFAIK QTVR has no size/memory restrictions.
>>

> Does this explain why I see so many people using QTVR for large panos?

I think that it is a good explanation. Another one is that QTVR has been
the first product to be released, and this is a very conservative market.
> So PTViewer, Immervision, and other Java type viewers are popular
> because Java installations are more prevalant? Any other reasons?

Another reason might be the fact that ptviewer can show equirectangular
images, just as they come out of the stitcher.
QTVR requires another step, and I found it almost impossible to create
good-looking qtvr files in Windows before the release of Pano2QTVR.
Pano2QTVR is a very recent software.
> Getting back to a few other points you made:
>
> Don't I recall there being an "anti aliasing" setting for Immervision
> that will eliminate the "shimmer"?

I did not make any test, but if the demo in the Immervision site does
not use antialiasing there must be good reasons.
Some time ago I read that antialiasing caused a large slowdown, but
those are second hand news.
> Based on my various web stat reports, roughly 85% of the visitors to
> my site are using Windows / Internet Explorer, so when we talk about
> having memory problems, we're not talking about the Win IE folks, correct?

As Erik already pointed out, the Microsoft VM died with Windows 2000.
Virtually all XP computers with java are using the Sun VM.
As I have already written, limiting the available memory to a few
megabytes in computers with gigabytes of ram is not a very smart move.
I might be wrong, but people at Sun must rather dumb...
> And a general question about the various Java viewers. Are all these
> Java viewer vendors coming up with revisions to the source code by
> Professor Dersch?

AFAIK, the main java viewers do not derive from ptviewer's code, but
they are original works. Since ptviewer has been released under the GNU
license they would have to make the source code available.

Since I am about to release PTViewer V2.8 it would be interesting to set
up some comparison pages, showing the same images with different viewers.
I can create the ptviewer pages and I can host all the pages. Some
people with experience in the various viewers should create the other pages.
If there are some volunteers we might create some useful page.

Fulvio Senore

<*> Gmane (news) nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng

<*> Gmane  (web) http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng