Sender:gliksman
Date/Time:2000-May-15 00:34:48
Subject:Re: Java/JavaScript problems

proj-imim: Re: Java/JavaScript problems gliksman 2000-May-15 00:34:48
Hello Paul and others

Paul Ellis wrote:

> Hi List
>
> I must admit I'm no Java/JavaScript expert. However, I'm starting to get the
> distinct impression that attempting to make a high-quality, full-featured
> viewer system using this combination is a lost cause. Reasons:
>
> * Java and JavaScript are supposed to be standards. However, for commercial
> reasons, neither Netscape or Microsoft properly implement them, but insist
> on their own, proprietary, mutually-exclusive "extensions". This situation
> is highly unlikely to change.
>
> * Implementation varies across platforms.
>
> * Implementation (and bugs) vary between different versions of the same
> browser. For legacy reasons, this situation won't change, either.
>
> * By virtue of its emulated nature, Java will always be slower than native
> code.
>
> * A Java pano cannot be guaranteed to be viewable. Because of the
> possibility of hostile applets, many corporates filter out Java at the
> firewall. However, I've found the same corporates usually allow Flash
> through.
>
> * On the Mac, at least, a running Java applet uses a significant amount of
> processor time, causing the surrounding environment (rollovers, etc.) to
> perform sluggishly, resulting in a disappointing user experience.
>
> I'd like to propose the following:
>
> 1) Bring PTVJ to version 1.0 by optimising as far as possible the download
> time in IE. Leave the feature set as it is.

Ok with that, + only one feature, to be able to control the way an animated gif
is played as wait, could be very nice for transitions

> 2) Add high-quality bilinear rendering to the native viewers and add the
> ability for the viewer to save stand-alone in multi-platform formats: i.e.
> for the Mac viewer to also be able to save a Windows .exe and Windows to be
> able so save a Mac application. That way, we can email stand-alone panos to
> recipients in the sure knowledge that they will run properly. Adding hotspot
> functionality, so that a folder-full of panos will all appear within the
> same window (in much the same way as hotspotted iPIXes do) would further
> increase the usefulness of the stand-alone viewer.

Ok with that, very usefull for demo CD also.

> 3) Assuming it's technically feasible, concentrate further development on
> incorporation into Flash, so that complete virtual tours can be delivered
> within Flash. Reasons:

Not ok with that. If we use java instead of Quicktime is (not only, but …) not
to have a plugin / download problem.
I would prefer to use wired sprite in QuickTime if i need more interactivity.

> * The file format is open
>
> * It is highly pervasive, being a standard part of the install of all v4 and
> later browsers
>
> * If it's not present, it's a much smaller download than QT
>
> * It turns the host OS and browser into a shell, avoiding platform/
> version/combination problems and sidestepping Microsoft's and Netscape's
> commercial agendas
>
> * It becomes a self-contained environment including panos, navigation,
> animation and other features, under our control.
>
> * ...then develop a QT component.
>
> I know that Helmut also wishes to develop a system whereby Java content can
> be intercepted by a native component (browser plugin or whatever), therefore
> making it possible to only have to author the content once, the end user
> getting a higher-performance experience if they have the native component
> installed. I'm very much in favour of this, but if it can also be done from
> within Flash, that's one less plugin to have to download. Furthermore, the
> native component approach doesn't solve our JavaScript navigation problems.
>
> I appreciate that Flash authoring software is not currently available free,
> and that Helmut clearly wishes to create a panoramic system comprised
> entirely from free software. However, I would point out that apart from
> GIMP, the host applications for Panorama Tools plugins are not free, either.
> Any subtle image editing on Mac or Windows requires commercial software.
> Therefore, I see no philosophical objection to embracing Flash.

If you use PTPicker that is free and a limited edition of PS5, you have
everything free …

Could you tell me where i could see some flash+panoramic or flash+object stuff
with good quality please ?

> Comments, anyone?

> Paul Ellis
> #removed#
> http://www.mnetwork.co.uk

You 've got two "good" and one "wrong" , so your allow to play next game …

Regards

--
Denis Gliksman
La Grange Numérique