Sender:Paul Ellis
Date/Time:2000-May-16 21:53:31
Subject:Re: Java/JavaScript problems

proj-imim: Re: Java/JavaScript problems Paul Ellis 2000-May-16 21:53:31
Hi Helmut

> I have written a plug-in which does PTViewer's math in native code.
> It takes over the applet's tasks if it is present, while the java
> code is executed when the plug-in is absent. This is transparent to
> the user.
>
> The speed improvement  is not too impressive (~30%) which is due
> to the slow interaction of java and native libraries. Maybe I can
> speed this up somehow, but it is not worth the hassle of a
> plug-in installation in the present state.
>
>> Although I still wonder why other Java viewers are faster in panning.

I'm less concerned with absolute speed of panning than with _smoothness_ of
panning. QTVR is the Rolls-Royce here: very smooth and able to come to a
full stop, with the mouse down. The feedback I've had from my colleagues
concerning PTVJ centres mostly around smoothness of navigation and download
speed, especially in IE. Would native code speed download in any way?

I'd actually be happy to trade 25 per cent of the current panning speed for
smoother movement. We're being nit-picking here, though. PTVJ is clearly
best-of-breed in Java.

Paul Ellis
#removed#
http://www.mnetwork.co.uk