Sender:Ed Howard
Date/Time:2000-May-15 03:08:02
Subject:Re: Java/JavaScript problems

proj-imim: Re: Java/JavaScript problems Ed Howard 2000-May-15 03:08:02
Hi all,

I for one feel we are on track..

While it may be true that there is a multitude of problems dealing with the
multiple platforms, We are already at the point that we can offer almost all
viewers a viewing experience. Mac/IE users may get less, but using java
script, we can give them the content.

Most of your comments apply equally to standalone viewers with the exception
that the initial assumption with stand alone viewers is this "the platform
issues are insurmountable, so make a separate viewer for each platform". In
theory we could do the same with java...

The concern about corporate firewalls only holds up so far...
Many corporations that filter out java, also have a policy against
installing software on the machines.
Additionally, I don't know how pervasive this problem is...but in any event,
if a user/firm is blocking their own online experience, that is their
problem (as java becomes more pervasive, I think there will be less not more
blocking).

My site http://www.HowardModels.com/Virtual-Reality
use to require a plugin (smoothmove). The majority (2/3rds+) of visitors
didn't bother/didn't know how to do it. (This is the reason why everyone is
moving to java viewers). Since switching to LPviewer, I can count on 1 hand
the people who didn't view the content. I would not switch to anything that
required a download (unless it was already on just about all machines).
Helmut's stand alone viewer is a long way from that. My goal is to get
content before as many visitors as easily as possible.

> 3) Assuming it's technically feasible, concentrate further development on
> incorporation into Flash, so that complete virtual tours can be delivered
> within Flash. Reasons:

> * It turns the host OS and browser into a shell, avoiding platform/
> version/combination problems and sidestepping Microsoft's and Netscape's
> commercial agendas

Ummmm sorry, Flash has its own compatibility issues. I was just reviewing a
basic site yesterday (http://www.digitallights.com/) that had to determine
browser type and offered up different content based on which one you were
using. I doubt that they are doing this for the fun of it.

I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) when you speak of incorporation
into flash, it would require some sort of download? If that is the case, I
say....Nay.

As far as an alternate to java, my money is on RealPlayer. It has a high
saturation and is already being used for video panoramas by www.behere.com .
But it severely limits design layout.

My hope is to offer a download free panorama experience, integrated into the
page, to as many visitors as possible. For those that can't view that
experience, I will need to redirect them to a seperate page with pop-up
windows and a more basic experience (even this will be better than what
everyone is currently getting with Live Picture/iPIX java viewers).

This is a masterpiece folks, just look at the list:

MGI/Live Picture & iPIX java viewers lack these feature. Asterisk (*) means
not universal.

No size limitation in Netscape.
Bilinear rendering (like standalone viewers) eliminates "jaggies" in panos.
Splash screen can be jpg, gif or animated gif. (this is nice, it gives the
slowly connected eyecandy),
A single less than 12kb jar file.
Transparent gif overlay option for custom window (radius corner, agent pic,
etc...)
Definable navigation buttons (look, size & location).
No corporate ID stuff.
*Load pano files into running applet.
*Load viewer with only splash screen.
*Hotspots via coordinate or matte image
*Download progress on status bar
*Can call user supplied java script functions
*Compass/map directional indicator option.

Even excluding the asterisks (*), it is an impressive accomplishment. iPIX
has probably spent millions on their java viewer and didn't figure out the
Netscape size issue.

I tip my hat & hope for stability & additional enhancements.

Ed Howard