Sender:Paul Ellis
Date/Time:2000-May-17 21:02:32
Subject:Re: Smoothness and download speed

proj-imim: Re: Smoothness and download speed Paul Ellis 2000-May-17 21:02:32
Hi Helmut

> I am not completely sure about what you mean by smoothness, but guess
> that it is the navigation response when moving the mouse. QTVR
> and LivePicture use a progressive function (initial mouse movement
> causes small panning speed, while larger movement increases
> speed more than proportional) whereas PTViewer uses a linear
> function.

That's it. In QTVR, there's usually very little feeling of screen redraw.
The panning seems "fluid". PTVJ seems to make the redraw visible; it seems
to move in small steps.

> Also, this function is not scaled when zooming in, which makes moving somewhat
> difficult with small fov. I will add such a progressive, fov-dependent
> response in version 1.0.

Excellent. Thank you.

>> and download
>> speed, especially in IE.
>
> I am puzzled by this. I have done several tests on Win98 and NT,
> and using Netscape 4-4.7 and IE 4-5, on dialup and local
> ethernet connections, and am getting exactly (within 10%) the same
> download speeds with all browsers. Also, PTViewer downloads slightly
> faster than the LivePicture versions.

For me, IE5/Mac takes twice as long to display the pano as Nescape/Mac,
especially in moving from initially downloading the applet to first
displaying the wait.gif, even from a local drive. PowerBook G3/500, OS9.0.4,
all updates.

On the other hand, Netscape only seems to display 16-bit colour. Did you see
Gummy's Flash demo? It downloaded in about 1.5 seconds for me on ADSL.

Best regards

Paul Ellis
#removed#
http://www.mnetwork.co.uk