Sender:Paul Ellis
Date/Time:2000-May-15 00:58:54
Subject:Re: Java/JavaScript problems

proj-imim: Re: Java/JavaScript problems Paul Ellis 2000-May-15 00:58:54
Hi Denis and others

But as I said:

>> * A Java pano cannot be guaranteed to be viewable. Because of the
>> possibility of hostile applets, many corporates filter out Java at the
>> firewall. However, I've found the same corporates usually allow Flash
>> through.

This is a download problem.

The point is not one of more interactivity: the point is to make
interactivity work reliably and consistently. We've already discovered that
Java/JavaScript communication is impossible with IE/Mac. Now, the news is
that Microsoft have dissolved the IE/Mac engineering team. So, this is a
permanent problem.

I return to Flash as an (apparently) self-contained environment, allowing us
to escape from the vagaries of Java/JavaScript implementations. Furthermore,
flash should allow us to use vector graphics for a proportion of our
navigation controls, reducing file size and download time.

> If you use PTPicker that is free and a limited edition of PS5, you have
> everything free …

Yes, that's true.

> Could you tell me where i could see some flash+panoramic or flash+object stuff
> with good quality please ?

No, because I believe Flash doesn't currently have onboard support for any
VR formats. QTVR supports Flash; Carol Geary has some examples of panoramas
with Flash tracks. I've also seen QT movies with embedded Flash rollover
navigation.

But, that's QTVR, which doesn't do spheres... and I wonder whether it's ever
likely to? :-)

regards

Paul Ellis
#removed#