Sender:Helmut Dersch
Date/Time:2000-May-16 22:45:39
Subject:Re: Java/JavaScript problems

proj-imim: Re: Java/JavaScript problems Helmut Dersch 2000-May-16 22:45:39
RDHoore (ProxyVista) wrote:

> > Of course, Helmut's goal of delivering in Java and having native code
> > intercept, if present, is a very good one.
>
> I heard you say this a lot, but I haven't seen this written by Helmut. I
> like the idea, if it will be true.

I have written a plug-in which does PTViewer's math in native code.
It takes over the applet's tasks if it is present, while the java
code is executed when the plug-in is absent. This is transparent to
the user.

The speed improvement  is not too impressive (~30%) which is due
to the slow interaction of java and native libraries. Maybe I can
speed this up somehow, but it is not worth the hassle of a
plug-in installation in the present state.

> Although I still wonder why other Java viewers are faster in panning.

PTViewer 1.0 is within 5% of the LP viewer.

There are a few dirty tricks (not in LP!) which I am not going to use like
rendering just a small window and blowing that up etc.

Helmut Dersch