Sender:Paul Ellis
Date/Time:2000-May-15 23:51:20
Subject:Re: Java/JavaScript problems

proj-imim: Re: Java/JavaScript problems Paul Ellis 2000-May-15 23:51:20
>> We've already discovered that Java/JavaScript communication is impossible
>> with IE/Mac.
>
> Not true. It's different, but not impossible.

How, then? I was under the impression that within IE/Mac, JavaScript control
of the applet was impossible. And/or the applet passing data (to drive
pinters and suchlike) was impossible. Not that I've tried it; I'm repeating
what I've read here in posts from Helmut and others.

> As Ed Howard pointed out, the beauty of this Java PTViewer is that it's so
> small and downloads automatically, in no time, and does a great job. You
> just cannot expect from your visitors that they will download all kinds of
> plugins.

True. However, Flash has been bundled with both Netscape and IE for a long
time now. I think it's fair to say that a good proportion of our visitors
already have Flash installed. Hence, no plugin download.

Of course, Helmut's goal of delivering in Java and having native code
intercept, if present, is a very good one. What I like about the Flash idea
is the possibility of constructing homogenous, composite files that download
in a predictable sequence and exhibit predictable behaviour, exactly as
HotMedia attempts to do in Java. Only better :-)

Paul Ellis
#removed#
http://www.mnetwork.co.uk