Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2009-Jan-13 14:06:48
Subject:Re: Re: Interface experiment

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Interface experiment Keith Martin 2009-Jan-13 14:06:48
Sometime around 13/1/09 (at 04:55 -0800) Ken Warner said:

>You know that little spinning thing that is shown while things are
>so to speak.

Showing a preview globe as the activity indicator seems like a rather
good suggestion. (I don't know about getting it to stop at the
initial view; it should stop and go away as soon as possible,
regardless of where it is in the rotation.) It probably shouldn't
spin at some mad speed (or even particularly fast at all) or
recognition of the scene would be minimal.

What is good about this is that it makes good use of the 'dead air'
time between arriving at a page and seeing enough of the full
panorama. Kept just to this time, it also doesn't get in the way of
the final pano display. I think this is quite a useful model to
consider.

It would require a very small preview image to be downloaded as soon
as possible when someone visits a pano page, but that could be just a
dozen or so kilobytes and called straight away by the pano player
engine.