Sender:erik leeman
Date/Time:2009-Jan-14 09:36:09
Subject:Re: Interface experiment

PanoTools NG: Re: Interface experiment erik leeman 2009-Jan-14 09:36:09
Thanks for your input Matt.

Actually the compass was discussed in an earlier topic.
It was intended as a 'special purpose' feature, not for the general
public, and needs to be more accurate than it is now.
That's also why I didn't spend any time yet to improve its interface,
there's more to it than just the button.
I left it in more as a demo of what can be done, as an inspiration so
to speak, and its default state is off.
But the button is confusing, there is no question about that. Lesson
learned.

As mentioned in my original message, THIS test was intended to find
out if a specific interface element, the rotating sphere animation,
worked on all platforms and browsers. I put in a stationary version
and a hotspot version just to find out if that would make a
difference. Besides the matter of it working as such, I was also
interested in its impact on performance, that's why I scaled those
hotspot versions down. They are in fact of the same pixel size as the
large one. And no, I wasn't drunk when I made this test version : )

Now that I know that it works for nearly all who have tried it, I can
consider using it, or variants of it, 'for real'.
One application that was discussed is to use it as a preview while the
panorama is loading. For this I will have to find out if I can get it
on the viewers screen in time. Using it as a hotspot marker like in
the test is also something I am considering now that I've seen it.
But I fully agree with you, nearly always simple is better (I always
try to adhere to the KISS principle).

The hotspot can go back to a (nearly) off state after you've rolled
over it, because that means you have seen it.
There is no reasonable need to spoil the image with superfluous
interface elements, you can always find it again by pressing the 'show
hotspots'button, but at least you know that it's there.

The 'Open large version' button should make sense if you enter my
website via the normal route. Then you first encounter the option to
choose large or small versions. For those who regret their choice
later i've made it possible to switch sizes whenever they want.

I am fully aware of the fact that there still is a LOT that can (and
must) be improved about my work, but it is feedback like yours that is
indispensible in the process, and I am very grateful you took the time
to write your report.

Kind regards,

Erik Leeman