Sender:Roger D. Williams
Date/Time:2009-Jan-15 03:40:24
Subject:Re: Re: Interface experiment

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Interface experiment Roger D. Williams 2009-Jan-15 03:40:24
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:13:14 +0900, erik leeman <#removed#>
wrote:

> --- In #removed#, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
> wrote:
>>
>> I like almost everything about this approach to navigation, although
>> I must point out that the compass doesn't work in 9.62 in on my
>> office computer (XP-SP2). It just sits there pointing in the same
>> direction all the time.
>
> Sorry Roger, that's an interface design error. Technically it works
> fine, because it's just a button to toggle the 'real' compass on and
> off. What would you choose as a symbol for a compass if you wanted a
> button without text? I thought a picture of a compass would be
> appropriate. But it this makes it impossible for users to discern
> between the pictogram and the function it is supposed to control,
> because both are just graphical elements, not real objects. So I
> really need to change that. Still a nice little experiment in
> interface design though.

Oh, is my face red. But as you say, it's a useful insight into how
the interface works. Or doesn't work. <embarassed grin>

I think the compass is a useful feature, although this may be
partly because I totally lack any sense of direction and have
to rely on compasses and maps to get around. It does not get
in the way of panorama viewing, even if some might consider it
superfluous, so why not leave it on all the time? It takes very
little precious screen space...

>> I particularly like the fact that hotspots are virtually
>> invisible when you don't click on "show" and resume their near
>> invisibility once you have moused over them. This minimalist
>> approach to hot spots causes the least possible disruption of
>> normal panorama enjoyment.
>
> That's exactly what I am after. It's an odd conflict with those
> hotspots, on one hand you want them to be noticed, on the other you
> don't want them to spoil the image. It's not easy to have it both ways
> at the same time.

Yes, it's a very difficult issue to resolve satisfactorily,
which is why I am so impressed with your approach.

>> I would prefer the rotating spheres to rotate with the panorama once
>> the panorama has been downloaded and is being viewed, but I guess
>> that might be a lot more processing intensive. On the other hand,
>> they would be stationary when viewing any one part of the scene
>> without panning...
>> It might work to have them stop rotating as soon as the panorama has
>> been downloaded and just have them update to the current view when
>> panning stops.
>>
>> Roger W.
>
> As it is now I cannot control the rotation of the spheres. Because of
> a technical problem I had to use animations instead of interactive
> elements. I even cannot slow them down, as seperate animations the
> behave differently (=turn slower) than when projected into a VR
> panorama. Strange and unfortunate. Hopefully a future version of
> Pano2VR will allow use of more advanced tricks : )

Yes, I thought that might be the case. But I am not so sure that
spinning the spheres is necessarily the best thing to do with them.
Well, it is good as an initial eye-catcher, and as soon as you
start to find them distracting you can dim them down, but I wonder
whether spinning the FIRST one (only) might not be better? The
little ones hovering over the hotspots could well be static, and
this would make it easier to derive them from the actual panorama,
perhaps showing the same aspect as shown in the initial view, or
rather since they look so different, shown from the same compass
angle as the initial view. I guess it might also simplify the
coding...

Roger W.

--
Work: www.adex-japan.com