Sender:Matthew Rogers
Date/Time:2009-Jan-14 07:33:14
Subject:Re: Re: Interface experiment

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Interface experiment Matthew Rogers 2009-Jan-14 07:33:14
I'd just ask myself do these extra interface elements actually improve
the user experience or just confuse the issue. My issues from a
general public users perspective are:

	1. The compass button being an actual compass is counter intuitive.
People would expect it to rotate and that the button simply turns the
rotation on/off. And from other comments I'm not the only one thinking
this.

	2. Does knowing the actual degree of rotation add anything or does it
simply show that you know how to use use flash. So often is the case
with technology, in that it's used because the developers like to show-
off. Yet in a lot of cases it's simply pointless. Just think back to
what Flash websites used to be like 5-6 years ago :( Let's hope Flash
panoramas don't go down the same route. Just having the compass rotate
showing N S E W is all you need.

	3. What does the spinning preview globe show ? They're too small and
spin too fast to really work properly as a preview to the location
they link to. You could probably just use random scenes and 99% of
your viewers would be none the wiser. For me they're just too
distracting. A simple overview map may not be as exciting but is a far
better option from a user/navigation view. I MUCH prefer the version
with the simple thumbnail previews. In most cases simple is better.

	4. The show hotspot buttons has no indication to the state the
hotspots are in. A button really should have a state to show it's
current status. In one scene I wasn't sure if hotspots were on or off
and kept clicking/rotating/clicking/rotation to see if they were on or
off. But I still don't know, I just think that pano didn't have any
hotspots. In this case don't show the button.

	5. Having a preview sphere of the current pano you're viewing is
completely nonsensical. Whether you can fade it down is irrelevant. It
serves no purpose what-so-ever and doesn’t  encourage the user to
interact with the pano. And I just realised it's the same spinning
globe on every pano. Can I ask if you were drinking when you came up
with this idea ????

	6. RED TEXT, why ?

	7. Why does the hotspot go back to an off state after I've rolled
over it ? What turns it off, the rollover, the button, both, this is
confusing.

	On an almost related issue the "Open Large Version", "Open Small
Version" buttons don't really make sense. I know, that it relates to
the file size but only after I've clicked it the first time. What I
was expecting was a larger WINDOW size.

Matt