Sender:erik leeman
Date/Time:2009-Jan-14 07:13:22
Subject:Re: Interface experiment

PanoTools NG: Re: Interface experiment erik leeman 2009-Jan-14 07:13:22
--- In #removed#, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:

> I like almost everything about this approach to navigation, although
> I must point out that the compass doesn't work in 9.62 in on my
> office computer (XP-SP2). It just sits there pointing in the same
> direction all the time.

Sorry Roger, that's an interface design error. Technically it works
fine, because it's just a button to toggle the 'real' compass on and
off. What would you choose as a symbol for a compass if you wanted a
button without text? I thought a picture of a compass would be
appropriate. But it this makes it impossible for users to discern
between the pictogram and the function it is supposed to control,
because both are just graphical elements, not real objects. So I
really need to change that. Still a nice little experiment in
interface design though.

> I particularly like the fact that hotspots are virtually
> invisible when you don't click on "show" and resume their near
> invisibility once you have moused over them. This minimalist
> approach to hot spots causes the least possible disruption of
> normal panorama enjoyment.

That's exactly what I am after. It's an odd conflict with those
hotspots, on one hand you want them to be noticed, on the other you
don't want them to spoil the image. It's not easy to have it both ways
at the same time.

> I would prefer the rotating spheres to rotate with the panorama once
> the panorama has been downloaded and is being viewed, but I guess
> that might be a lot more processing intensive. On the other hand,
> they would be stationary when viewing any one part of the scene
> without panning...
> It might work to have them stop rotating as soon as the panorama has
> been downloaded and just have them update to the current view when
> panning stops.
>
> Roger W.

As it is now I cannot control the rotation of the spheres. Because of
a technical problem I had to use animations instead of interactive
elements. I even cannot slow them down, as seperate animations the
behave differently (=turn slower) than when projected into a VR
panorama. Strange and unfortunate. Hopefully a future version of
Pano2VR will allow use of more advanced tricks : )

Kind regards,

Erik Leeman