Sender:Edward Fink
Date/Time:2005-Jun-08 22:13:35
Subject:RE: Re: Need help stitching my helicopter panorama!

PanoTools: RE: Re: Need help stitching my helicopter panorama! Edward Fink 2005-Jun-08 22:13:35
	I'm definitely leaning toward a monopod or pole now, so I'm less
dependent on the pilot.  One of the reasons I haven't tried it already
is I have a D70, and I'd have to pull the camera back in each time to
dial in the self timer and shoot the next one.

	I use a card reader and I've never hooked up my camera to my PC,
but I'm considering that so I can get a USB extension cable and use the
laptop to fire the shutter.  Definitely have to test that first though,
and I'd have to get the client (who rides along) to run the laptop so I
can hold the pole and rotate the camera.

	I'm worried about the USB cable - I don't know how much the
downdraft will blow the camera and USB cable, especially if it picks up
a rhythm and starts swinging wildly.

	I may have to rent a camera with a wired remote or radio remote.
There's a place here in Minneapolis that I can get a good Canon or Nikon
for $150 a day.  They also have Hasselblad's and Mamiya's with digital
backs for $300 a day that sound kind of tempting if I really do have to
use a different camera.

	But I'd prefer to stick to my D70 or as close to it as I can
just to cut down on the number of variables.  I don't really want to be
frantically thumbing through unfamiliar menus while hovering at 2500' if
something gets bumped or something doesn't look right.  Several times
Monday I accidentally spun the dial from Manual to some random setting.
It was the awkward angle from leaning out the helicopter holding the
camera down and out that caused me to roll the dial.  I wasted a total
of maybe 8 shots.  Sometimes I felt it roll and pulled it back and reset
it quickly.  With an unfamiliar camera, I might never have noticed or
been able to correct it fast enough.

	Twice now I've called my son in a panic while shooting (not in
the helicopter!) to ask him to check the D70 manual again and tell me
how to change the monitor from the 9 tiny thumbnails back to the
fullscreen playback so I could see it.  I remember that setting now.  :)

Ed