Sender:Mark Banas
Date/Time:2005-Jun-13 17:13:37
Subject:Re: The ultimate stitching nightmare

PanoTools: Re: The ultimate stitching nightmare Mark Banas 2005-Jun-13 17:13:37
On Jun 9, 2005, at 4:26 PM, Bob Alexander wrote:

> Went at a Dolphinarium show (Oltremare - Riccione - Italy).
>
>  The facility is really very very very nice.
>
>  Shot 4 photographs of the whole facility and proceeded to stitching it
>  with Hugin as a frontend.
>
>  As soon I had the stitched image in front of me I realized that
> shooting
>  water with waves with a single camera is impossible !!! :)

Or very close to impossible...

Things always move in between shots of multishot panoramas, there is no
avoiding it. Waves are tough to resolve, but at least they tend to be
consistent! (Try getting people to stand motionless while you shoot
multiple frames!) Being a moderate distance above common waves helps a
lot, and so does using the "continuous drive" feature on most cameras.
Hopefully the period of the waves and the FPS of your drive do not
correspond exactly!

To use this "random sample" method of shooting you would need a lot of
film (in frames or megs), a point of reference in each shot (usually
the shoreline or something not moving), and a tripod to keep things
steady, unless you are really good at handheld stitching. Start
shooting when one wave hits and keep the shutter button down until the
next wave hits, then go on to the next angle with the same goal for
timing, and later match up the frames where the waves are closest and
stitch those frames together. Obviously, having as few frames showing
the waves will help both in terms of actual shots taken and how much of
a headache it is to find the "right" frames across the water.

-Mark