Sender:Mark Banas
Date/Time:2005-Jun-09 11:00:17
Subject:Re: Re: helicopter panorama - consider a different pilot

PanoTools: Re: Re: helicopter panorama - consider a different pilot Mark Banas 2005-Jun-09 11:00:17
On Jun 9, 2005, at 6:46 AM, Eric O'Brien wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Edward Fink wrote:
>  >
>  >> Also I wonder why you didn't take the time to direct the pilot
> over a
>  > vertical edge pointing to you as I suggested...
>  >
>  > The pilot doesn't appear to place much value in suggestions from
> mere
>  > mortals.
>
>  Umm...
>
>  I think you may need a different pilot.

Hi Ed,

I agree with this suggestion, especially at a rate that may soon exceed
the cost of your services as well. However, the Twin Cities area isn't
exactly chock-full of helicopters for hire, is it? How do you find an
experienced pilot who will explain to you what is possible and what is
dangerous (like hanging handheld equipment out a window in flight -
which the pilot is responsible for)?

It may seem a little weird, but I would suggest getting in contact with
the fine folks at the 34th Infantry, Aviation Brigade (the 147th AVN is
in St. Paul). They won't take you up in a Cobra, of course, but they
can honestly answer the questions of what is possible in civilian
rotary-wing aircraft over a city and what would be the best approach
when dealing with your pilot (whoever it is). These guys are
professionals with no profit motivation, and usually have a connection
to the local helo pilots, so they might even know which area pilots to
call on for something like you need. At the same time you can ask to do
some QTVRs of *their* hangars and gear, which might be interesting and
they would love the results!

However, since I left the states before the "homeland security"
hysteria took over, I might be too optimistic in terms of their
reception. Maybe first check if they are currently deployed "en masse"
or not...

-Mark